Hi Kristoffer,
That sounds like a bug to me. One thing to check is your HBase time-out parameters (I'd list them, but I don't know what they all are). If you dial these down (as HBase tries very hard, again and again to reconnect), is the behavior any different. I know at Salesforce we don't have this issue, though. Perhaps Lars, Eli, or Simon know what we've configured to have this not happen.

Would you mind filing a JIRA on this?

Thanks,
James