From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Apache Lucene.NET 4.8.0-beta00014
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2021 18:29:58 GMT
+1

We got a report today that the lucene-cli tool isn't functioning because it was set up to
make the appsettings.json file required instead of optional. It doesn't ship with an appsettings.json
file.

https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/issues/453#issuecomment-808218724

The last release it worked in was 4.8.0-beta00008. The error message is clear about where
the file it is looking for is located and it can be worked around by adding an empty JSON
file at that location (that is, a file named appsettings.json with only curly brackets in
it).

I have updated the release notes of all of the versions that have the issue, including 4.8.0-beta00014,
which isn't live yet. But the message hasn't changed and can be viewed in the 4.8.0-beta00013
release notes as well:

https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/releases/tag/Lucene.Net_4_8_0_beta00013

Normally I would vote to stop a release for something as severe as an error that prevents
an app from running, but being that this issue has been happening in 9 months in production
without one report about it and there is a workaround, I think we should discuss it further.
My vote is to continue to release, but I would understand if someone disagrees. The fix is
very straightforward and we could restart the vote in no time if we decide stopping the release
is preferred.

One other minor issue I found is that the copyright date is still 2020, but certainly that
isn't a showstopper.

The tests all passed in the release and benchmarks have barely changed since 4.8.0-beta00013.