lucenenet-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jeff S <>
Subject Re: 4.8 Status
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2020 19:02:41 GMT
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. That is exactly the sort of information I
am wanting to make an informed decision. I will stick with the formal releases, and start
my new project later today using Release 4.8.0-beta00007, but will look to upgrade on your
release schedule on an as-soon-as available basis.
And of course if I discover any issues I will report accordingly. My implementation is rather
straight-forward, so unlikely to encounter problems.
- Jeff

    On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 08:05:35 AM PDT, Shad Storhaug <>
Thanks for the inquiry.
Release 4.8.0-beta00007 included a few new features and performance enhancements (mostly benefiting
.NET Framework users, macOS users, and .NET Core 3 users). The commits on the master branch
are mostly to migrate components from the Lucene.Net.Support namespace to J2N, but also include
some additional performance enhancements that also affect .NET Core 2.
We have been stalled a bit on a new beta release because while we were able to successfully
eliminate the Lucene.Net.Support namespace from the public API in Lucene.Net, there are a
few components left in the ICU4N.Support public namespace that require some refactoring to
fit in the .NET world before they can be migrated to J2N. But, given that is not a really
good excuse to hold up a release with performance enhancements, we will probably be releasing
it sooner rather than later.
Unless top performance is absolutely critical for your use case, or unless you have found
that you require a component that is in the Lucene.Net.Support namespace (that has since been
refactored and migrated to J2N), I recommend you stick with the releases on
That said, our release schedule is not fixed – we depend heavily on contributions and user
feedback to move us forward.
Shad Storhaug
Project Chairman – Apache Lucene.NET
From: Jeff S <>
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:20 PM
To: Shad Storhaug <>
Subject: 4.8 Status
Hello Shad, I'm looking to integrate lucenenet into a .net core 2.2 project.
I see in github the most recent pre-release is 4.8.0-beta00007 on January 29, with 75 commits
since then, most recently from you just yesterday (April 1).
Understanding the project is still in pre-release status, what version would you recommend
I start with? Should I use the January 29 release, or is the current version of master stable
enough to start with, anticipating a newer release soon?
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message