From <...@bongohr.org>
Subject RE: Next release due
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:15:41 GMT
Hi Shad,

Let me get familiar with the codebase and the set up the build/test
environments I can take a look at these issues in the next week.

Ill come back to you if I have any specific questions regarding build/test.

Bye for now,
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Shad Storhaug <shad@shadstorhaug.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 7:44 PM
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: RE: Next release due

Hi Michael,

To help us close some small issues, doing a search through the entire
solution to see TODO items specific to Lucene.NET using a "Edit > Find and
Replace > Find in files" in Visual Studio can be done to find issues that
are still open (many of which are not in JIRA). To find them, search for the
string "LUCENENET TODO|LUCENE TO-DO" using the Regex option.

To be more specific, here are a couple of examples:

1. Replace all private/internal nested IComparer<T> implementations (usually
including the word "Anonymous" in the name) with the Comparer.Create()
method (see: https://stackoverflow.com/a/28533921). This will eliminate a
lot of unnecessary classes and make the code correspond to Java better,
which uses anonymous classes to achieve similar code inlining. If you are
unsure if one needs to be converted to inline code rather than a concrete
class, check the Java implementation to see if it is inline
(https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/tree/releases/lucene-solr/4.8.0/lucen
e).

2. Change overloads of OpenStringBuilder.Append(charsequence, start, end) to
OpenStringBuilder.Append(charsequence, startIndex, charCount) to match the
conventions in .NET
(https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/1274197c39b4b229af7c6734d35840ff21
d47e97/src/Lucene.Net.Analysis.Common/Analysis/Util/OpenStringBuilder.cs#L98
). In Java, the convention is to use start index and end index to select
text in a string, but in .NET, the corresponding convention is to use start
index and length (count).

Once you make the changes and have tested them thoroughly, just open a pull
request on GitHub for review: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pulls

There are several other ways to help including answering questions on our
user mailing list and on StackOverflow, blogging about Lucene.NET, and
helping us to find bugs and bottlenecks. See
https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#other-ways-t
o-help for some inspiration. However, closing remaining issues in JIRA and
in ICU4N are what will move us closer to release.

Regards,
Shad Storhaug
Project Chairperson - Apache Lucene.NET