From Christopher Currens <currens.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: twitter questions
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:22:19 GMT
In regards to the NIOFSDirectory, we have no plans on supporting it
for several reasons, the largest being that NIO (meaning New I/O) is a
java only API.  I guess it would be good to briefly discuss what NIO
is in Java (anyone feel free to correct me when I inevitably get some
of the details wrong :)  The main features that NIO introduced were:

* Regex pattern matching for file contents (used with the new
abstractions of memory mapping a file to a buffer)
* Character set encoders/decoders
* Improved file system support with locking and memory mapping
* Async I/O (the biggest one, I think)

Most of these abstractions don't exist in .NET, but that doesn't mean
that comparable features don't either. :)  On that end, since we're
trying to use .NET constructs, I have personally been experimenting
with I think would be an equivalent to the NIOFSDirectory in java, one
that uses Async I/O (this seems to be the only thing that lucene uses
from the NIO api).

The first thing I was curious about was any speed increases using
Async I/O for index writing (lucene does not do this), and I was a
first surprised when I found that it was generally the same speed or a
little slower.  It was a learning experience because I discovered that
asynchronous writes are not always run asynchronously in windows.  I
haven't had much time to experiment with the asynchronous reading,
which is really the only different in NIOFS from a SimpleFSDirectory,
but I'm hoping to get something similar to how the NIOFSDirectory is
designed working in .NET.

I have some other ideas related to memory mapped files, which we
briefly prototyped but never added to core, but I think it would
perform very well on SSD devices and so I'd like to revisit it.

I guess the answer would be no we are not creating an NIOFSDirectory,
but we are looking into an AsyncIODirectory.  In theory, they should
be pretty much the same, the real difference is the name. ;)

Thanks,
Christopher