From "Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" <casper...@caspershouse.com>
Subject Re: Reviving DistributedSearch
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:43:58 GMT
Zach,

Just a suggestion, maybe going the web API route and self hosting (which allows for something
more RESTful and  with good bindings for JSON, XML, et al):

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/ASPNET-Web-API-Self-Host-30abca12

http://www.asp.net/web-api/overview/hosting-aspnet-web-api/self-host-a-web-api

- Nick

On Aug 17, 2012, at 7:47 PM, "Zachary Gramana" <zgramana@gmail.com> wrote:

> All:
>
> I spent quite a bit of time researching the demise of Lucene.Net.Distributed (now Contrib.Distributed),
primarily looking at SVN tags and the mailing list. I gather that it was only ever a reluctant
feature, which had few users, went unmaintained, and thus was quietly dropped during the transition
from 2.4.0 -> 2.9.1.

> I noticed that much of that code remains in src/contribs, so I attempted to restore it
back to its former state. To make a long story short, I have reconstructed solution files,
project files, tests, etc. and have migrated them all forward to use 3.0.3 trunk. It now builds
and (nominally) runs. It does not pass the tests since the Soap formatter does not support
generics.

> I did not make any modifications beyond those needed for reconstruction and migration.
I am considering migrating this to ServiceStack, or WCF, if there is interest. However, some
may be interested in playing with it as-is. I'd be happy to submit a patch against trunk,
but I'm not sure of the protocol for that (e.g. send it to dev list, private email). The patch
currently weighs in at 344 KB zipped/~3 MB unzipped.