From Christopher Currens <currens.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Roadmap
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:28:42 GMT
Regarding the 3.0.3 branch I started last week, I've put in a lot of late
nights and gotten far more done in a week and a half than I expected.  The
list of changes is very large, and fortunately, I've documented it in some
files that are in the branches root of certain projects.  I'll list what
changes have been made so far, and some of the concerns I have about them,
as well as what still needs to be done.  You can read them all in detail in
the files that are in the branch.

All changes in 3.0.3 have been ported to the Lucene.Net and
Lucene.Net.Test, except BooleanClause, LockStressTest, MMapDirectory,
NIOFSDirectory, DummyConcurrentLock, NamedThreadFactory, and
ThreadInterruptedException.

MMapDirectory and NIOFSDirectory have never been ported in the first place
for 2.9.4, so I'm not worried about those.  LockStressTest is a
command-line tool, porting it should be easy, but not essential to a 3.0.3
release, IMO.  DummyConcurrentLock also seems unnecessary (and
non-portable) for .NET, since it's based around Java's Lock class and is
only used to bypass locking, which can be done by passing new Object() to
the method.
NamedThreadFactory I'm unsure about.  It's used in ParallelMultiSearcher
(in which I've opted to use the TPL), and seems to be only used for
debugging, possibly testing.  Either way, I'm not sure it's necessary.
 Also, named threads would mean we probably would have to move the class
from the TPL, which greatly simplified the code and parallelization of it
all, as I can't see a way to Set names for a Task.  I suppose it might be
possible, as Tasks have unique Ids, and you could use a Dictionary to map
the thread's name to the ID in the factory, but you'd have to create a
helper function that would allow you to find a task by its name, which
seems more work than the resulting benefits.  VS2010 already has better
support for debugging tasks over threads (I used it when writing the
class), frankly, it's amazing how easy it was to debug.

Other than the above, the entire code base in the core dlls is at 3.0.3,
which is exciting, as I'm really hoping we can get Lucene.Net up to the
current version of Java's 3.x branch, and start working on a line-by-line
port of 4.0.  Tests need to be written for some of the collections I've
made that emulate Java's, to make sure they're even behaving the same way.
 The good news is that all of the existing tests pass as a whole, so it
seems to be working, though I'd like the peace of mind of having tests for
them (being HashMap<TKey, TValue>, WeakDictionary<TKey, TValue> and
IdentityCollection<TKey, TValue>, it's quite possible any one of them could
be completely wrong in how they were put together.)

I'd also like to finally formalize the way we use IDisposable in
Lucene.Net, by marking the Close functions as obsolete, moving the code
into Dispose, and eventually (or immediately) removing the Close functions.
 There's so much change to the API, that now would be a good time to make
that change if we wanted to.  I'm hesitant to move from a line-by-line port
of Lucene.Net completely, but rather having it be close as possible.  The
main reason I feel this way, is when I was porting the Shingle namespace of
Contrib.Analyzers, Troy has written it in a .Net way which different
GREATLY from java lucene, and it did make porting it considerably more
difficult; to keep the language to a minimum, I'm just going to say it was
a pain, a huge pain in fact.  I love the idea of moving to a more .NET
design, but I'd like to maintain a line-by-line port anyway, as I think
porting changes is far easier and quicker that way.  At this point, I'm
more interested in getting Lucene.Net to 4.0 and caught up to java, than I
am anything else, hence the extra amount of time I've put into this project
over the past week and a half.  Though this isn't really a place for this
discussion.

The larger area of difficult for the port, however, is the Contrib section.
 There are two major problems with it that is slowing me down.  First,
there are a lot of classes that are outdated.  I've found versions of code
that still have the Apache 1.1 License attached to it, which makes the code
quite old.  Also, it was almost impossible for me to port a lot of changes
in Contrib.Analyzers, since the code was so old and different from Java's
2.9.4.

Second, we had almost no unit tests ported for any of the classes, which
means they have to be ported from scratch.

Third, there are a lot of contrib projects that have never been ported over
from java.  That list includes: smartcn (I believe this is an intelligent
Chinese analyzer), benchmark, collation, db, lucli, memory, misc,
queryparser, remote, surround, swing, wikipedia, xml-query-parser.
 However, it should be noted that I'm not even sure which, if any, SHOULD
be ported or even CAN be ported.

The progress on 3.0.3 Contrib is going steady, however.  The entire
Analyzers project (except for smartcn) has been ported, as well as the test
for them, which all pass.  There were some minor exceptions, the
ThaiAnalyzer and hyphenation analyzers that could not be ported,
ThaiAnalyzer because it relies on BreakIterator, and there's no built-in
functionality to split a string by words based on a culture in .NET, and no
third party library I could find that easily does it, and Hyphenation,
because it relies on SAX xml processing, which is also missing from .NET.

The FastVectorHighlighter project has also had all 3.0.3 changes ported to
the project and it's Tests, as well, all passing.  All other projects in
contrib have yet to be touched/ported.

You can find some of my notes scattered about in // TODO comments, but most
centralized in the project directories:

src\core\FileDiffs.txt
src\core\ChangeNotes.txt
src\contrib\Analyzers\FileDiffs.txt
test\core\UpdatedTests.txt
test\contrib\analyzers\PortedTests.txt

If, and by if I mean when, you find porting errors, let me know and fix
them or have me fix them, or whatever you want to do.  The thing I worry
about the most are the tests for the collections I listed above, which I
will get around to writing soon.  I *have* found some porting issues in the
core dll that didn't manifest themselves in the Lucene.Net.Test test cases,
but did when I ported some of the tests for Contrib.Analyzers.  I have a
feeling they will be found slowly and surely, but I feel that they are few
and far between.

If anyone wants to help on this branch, I'd welcome it, we would just need
to coordinate who is working on what, so we aren't porting the same thing
and wasting time.

Thanks,
Christopher

TL;DL: Lucene.Net/Lucene.Net.Tests have all been ported to 3.0.3 (with a
few very minor exceptions), Contrib.Analyzers/Contrib.Analyzer.Test have
all been ported to 3.0.3 (few minor exceptions),
FastVectorHighlighter/FastVectorHighlighter.Tests have all been ported to
3.0.3, and the rest of Contrib is going to be a pain.