From "Lombard, Scott" <slomb...@KINGINDUSTRIES.COM>
Subject RE: Stefan's Newbie Questions (was Re: Proposal Status, Initial Committors List, Contributors List)
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:58:04 GMT
Can anyone put together a test case and attach it to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-380
for evaluation?  It seems like it is worth evaluating.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Merkl [mailto:hm@hmerkl.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:39 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Stefan's Newbie Questions (was Re: Proposal Status, Initial Committors List,
Contributors List)

A .NET wrapper around the IKVM classes may be a good idea.

I like the idea that IKVM would also allow use of tons of other useful
Java/Lucene code that's out there. There are some filters and analyzers in
Java that might be very useful for my work. That's not really possible with
the line-by-line port. It may be possible with Sharpen though.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 13:04, Digy <digydigy@gmail.com> wrote:

> In theory you can use ikvmc to compile the Java source files into a .NET
> DLL
> that references some IKVM DLLs and an ikmvc'ed version of OpenJDK's
> classlib.  After that it is a plain .NET DLL and one could write a .NET
> centric API using that DLL.
>

> I haven't really tried it on anything serious and it may become tricky if
> reflection gets involved.  And there is some layer of indirection you
> wouldn't have by a line by line translation that may lead to decreased
> performance.  I'd be game to try it out, though.
>
> ----
>

> A few yers ago, I tried IKVM with ~300M (200-300 bytes) documents. It was
> surprisingly as fast as Lucene.Net. That may mean that we should fix
> something in the code.
>

> Reflection is another nice thing in IKVM. You can even load and execute
> Java
> classes J
>

> DIGY

it from your computer.  Thank you, King Industries, Inc.