From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stefan's Newbie Questions (was Re: Proposal Status, Initial Committors List, Contributors List)
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:47:38 GMT
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Hans Merkl <hm@hmerkl.com> wrote:
> Personally I am willing to trade some performance for always being up to
> date with the latest Java releases and also being able to use other Java
> code. Although as far as I have seen most people say it's at the same speed
> or even slightly faster than the .NET version.
>
> I personally would be more likely to contribute to IKVM if there are any
> issues since it would also benefit other Java code I use like TIKA. I wonder
> if anybody has ever tried Lucene with IKVM in a heavy load production
> environment. I use it in a one thread per index desktop app and wouldn't
> notice if there were any issues under heavy load.
>

>From the java camp, not too long ago i took lucene's trunk (to be 4.0)
and ran the unit test suite with IKVM...
As someone who has tested alternative Java implementations with lucene
(e.g. Jrockit, IBM's J9, Harmony), I would only call the results very
impressive.

In fact I only had one test failure, in TestIndexWriterExceptions,
which in my opinion isn't serious at all, its to test this:

I think its likely due to the way that IKVM optimizes exceptions[1],
and our unit test does wierd things with examining stacktraces and
such to simulate the condition... in other words not a real problem.

I would suggest benchmarking!

[1] http://weblog.ikvm.net/PermaLink.aspx?guid=388b2a6d-e7b2-4ffa-86e7-450c87e6178f