From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stefan's Newbie Questions (was Re: Proposal Status, Initial Committors List, Contributors List)
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:01:15 GMT
I'm on the fence about IKVM.

It has some significant benefits and some significant drawbacks:

Benefits:
- Allows us to get to a "commoditized" line-by-line .NET DLL in the
fastest and easiest manner. No porting.
- Reasonable performance profile
- Well tested Java environment equivalence

Drawbacks:
- Blackbox, can't improve on it or tweak behaviour. If there are bugs
or other issues, related to IKVM (ie thread safety, memory handling,
etc) we can't fix those without dropping IKVM as our solution.
- Adds an additional dependency
- May not be the best possible performance profile. As DIGY said, it's
roughly equivalent, but that doesn't mean that current Lucene.Net is
fully optimized for .NET. In fact, it has been proven not to be by
folks who have made custom builds/forks, realizing significant
speedups using generics, etc..

Also, that's a significant change in the library, which will introduce
breaking API changes, and require us to beef up the unit tests to
ensure that concerns like thread safety continue to behave as
expected.

Thanks,
Troy