From "Karell Ste-Marie" <stema...@brain-bank.com>
Subject RE: Proposal Stage: Net Idiomatic Api Version
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:41:18 GMT
Robert,

Thanks for stepping in,

I personally found some of your suggestions quite interesting and completely agree that Lucene
3.0 may help quite a bit.

Not that I want to place myself in the bullseye of any .NET snipers out there but the .NET
framework (like any others) has its share of quirks. The main one that comes to mind is the
garbage collector which is different than in Java. The same can be said for some of the behavior
of the CLR when compared to the JVM. I recall implementing IDisposable myself in a few objects
and while you may consider that the GC should run and free resources by calling Dispose on
an IDisposable object this is actually a technique that is discouraged because there is no
telling when the GC will actually free up a resource - you may laugh at this but when it comes
to bad practices I've seen newbie .NET programmers easily create memory leaks by not manually
closing resources (in a world where a GC exist, who would have thought...)

In the end, the languages are different - the whole conversation about Generics could also
be a very interesting topic, we could also talk about WCF quite a bit. This is where personally
the line-to-line port of Lucene from Java to .NET is IMHO a difficult endeavor. One would
not try to do a line-to-line port from Java to Perl. The languages are too different. But
I think that because people perceive similarities between C# and Java that it is assumed that
it's a good idea. However - and this is where opinions diverge - this would be in my point
of view like trying to fit a gas engine in a diesel car. While the purposes are the same,
the implementations should be different (at least in some areas) because the technologies
are different.

My Canadian 2 cents - subject to the exchange rate

Karell Ste-Marie
C.I.O. - BrainBank Inc