From Michael Garski <mgar...@myspace-inc.com>
Subject RE: Lucene.Net.Store Namespace
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:30:33 GMT
Thanks Nick!  Official 4.0 support of Lucene would be a ways off,
however an implementation that uses 4.0 could always be added to the
contrib section.

I think an NIOFSDirectory implementation is fairly low on the priority
list at the moment... unless you'd like to look into it ;)

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP] [mailto:casperOne@caspershouse.com]

Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 4:56 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Lucene.Net.Store Namespace

Michael,

	From my perspective, this is a memory-mapped file.  Explicit
support
for memory-mapped files is provided in .NET 4.0, but from what I can
tell (I
just joined the mailing list today), that's a long way off.

	However, you can provide the same functionality through the
Win32
API (which can be accessed through the P/Invoke layer).  Here are the
functions:

	Note if you want to create an implementation of this, you are
going
to have to use SafeHandle instances.  If you have to create specialized
ones, doing it right requires some pretty delicate work (you need to
attribute everything correctly for CER guarantees).

		- Nick