From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: port of contrib packages from java
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 04:20:41 GMT
Porting all of the code in contrib is going to be a challenge; there is a
lot of code in there.  So it makes sense to first port packages that gives
us the most value (maybe via a vote).  Also, what's ported now may no longer
work with 2.9.1's Lucene.Net port; this is because contrib.Net port has not
been kept up to date.  And yes, virtually every project in contrib has a
JUnit test associated with it, thus it can be used for validation of a
project port.

Regarding the .NET'es of ports, this has come up few times in the past, and
it's tempting to want to make Lucene.Net more .NET'es.  However. this is
very hard to achieve without solid commitment and being at a
commit-per-commit port with Lucene Java (i.e.: anytime a commit in Lucene
Java happens, it must, within days, be ported over to Lucene.Net and
committed).

Many of the projects in contrib, the task to port them is much simpler than
it is for the core Lucene code.  However, here is where things get
challenging.  Any time you think about making a port more .NET'es, you must
keep the following in mind:

1) It will be more work and harder to keep the code in sync with the Java
version (per the above reasons), and
2) The code in contrib may no longer work with the code in Lucene core due
to the .NET'es of the port (mainly public APIs).  Thus, your effort at
.NET'es of contrib port may be limited if Lucene core code isn't.

What's the take away?  Until when we can maintain commit-per-commit port
with Lucene Java, trying to make Lucene.Net and / or contrib more .NET'es
isn't realistic.

-- George