Hi Awasum,

I believe that you have exactly the right thinking on this subject. Details below.

On Oct 4, 2019, at 10:43 AM, Awasum Yannick <awasum@apache.org> wrote:

For simplicity, all contributors in the context of Outreachy or GSoC should just sign ICLAs when the submit first PRs. its going to make things very easy for us and them in the long run.

Yes, having an ICLA on file for all candidates is a good thing.

So as soon as someone sends in their first PR, send them to fill an iCLA form and submit.

This will make it easier to give the person the ability to commit later on if they deserve it.

I wonder if this will add another barrier of entry? as people might get confused about why they need to do that or even be reluctant to fill the form an send.

Here's where diversity gets involved. We should review the FAQ on the license page and see if filling the ICLA might be a barrier to the people we want to attract.

We should proactively look at the FAQ with this in mind and suggest changes if they are warranted.

But if the ICLA is a barrier, it should go into the friction log with suggested changes.

Regards,

Craig

Thanks.
Awasum