On GSoC, at least when I was heavily involved, we used to ask for ICLA from accepted students...

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 16:49 Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
FWIW, for the projects I've mentored so far in Outreachy, I haven't
asked anyone to submit an ICLA until they were accepted as the final
candidates. I've also relied on whatever each OSS community's
documentation says about when an ICLA should be submitted rather than
blanket requesting them from any applicant. This was for both ASF and
the Jenkins project. Some other communities rely on commit sign-offs
[1] instead which are similar to signing the Apache ICLA regarding
assertion of rights to contribute that code, and that's probably the
lowest barrier to entry (just use `git commit -s` to enable it),
though I haven't seen ASF use that approach.

[1]: https://developercertificate.org/

--
Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com>
--