juneau-dev mailing list archives

From James Bognar <james.bog...@salesforce.com>
Subject Re: Juneau new release guidelines.
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2016 15:09:02 GMT
Hi John,

Much of the credit goes to Stian who pointed me to the Taverna instructions
from where I pulled much of the information:
https://taverna.incubator.apache.org/community

I spent a lot of time just trying to get the formatting right in
Confluence.  It's got a nice interface, but it's really buggy around
formatting.  Sometimes I would do something to cause the formatting on half
the page to get messed up, and undo wouldn't fix it.  Even now it looks
fine on Chrome/Firefox/Safari, but the fonts are messed up on
Safari-mobile.  So be careful about that if you make any updates to the
page.

>- You may want to set push to false when doing a release.  There's still a lot
of discussion out there, but it may be easier to manage a release off
>of a fork rather than the main repo (and push to the main repo once the release
is done).  There's trade offs either way.
>- By not pushing, you eliminate the need to do an RC build as well.

Using a fork sounds good to me.  I'm still not too familiar with Git.  Can
you point me to an example of the instructions for doing so?  (or simply
update the doc?)  I've never tried creating or merging forks (even though I
know that's what Git is supposedly best at).

>- It would be great if release notes could come out of JIRA rather than
>being checked in.

Agreed.  Do you know how to do that from a command line (create JIRA
versions, generate release notes, etc...)?  If not, I can figure it out.

> - The vote/discuss emails confuse me.  Where did that come from?  The most
> I ever see (or expect to see) is a heads up style email saying someone is
> thinking about cutting a release.

That was based on the instructions from Taverna.  Feel free to modify the
templates.

> I think we're also missing the DISCLAIMER as well, indicating that this
is a project under incubation.
In the email to general@incubator?

Thanks John!

--