juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Maven work
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2016 00:43:39 GMT

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 5:30 PM, Peter Haumer <phaumer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> I think your implications go in the wrong direction. Yes, everything can be done with
Maven and there is no Eclipse dependency. But, we also want to use Eclipse and if we share
the Eclipse files then other people using Eclipse have an easier life.

This is the most important point. If distributing .project files makes anyone’s life easier,
then it’s a good thing.

I don’t know much about check style implementations but I do know that having a uniform
style across the project is “a good thing”.

> But, if we do introduce other dependencies then checkstyle is also a third party tool
you would make yourself dependent on; why is would that be more desirable/more "inspecific"
than Eclipse? Why not let us use the tools we want and prescribe different ones?

I will note that this is a typical podling issue that is usually resolved pretty easily. I
have no technical opinion as mentor but I hope that making it easier for many people to contribute,
regardless of their fave tool, is also “a good thing”.

Craig

P.S. I hope at some point to also contribute code/ideas since this is of some personal interest

> Thanks and best regards,
> Peter Haumer.

> PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
> IBM zSystems Software
>
> "John D. Ament" ---08/02/2016 04:07:51 PM---Everything you're describing is achievable
with maven solely, and does not rely on IDE specific tool

> [...]
> build tool.  Any formatting should be implemented using an inspecific tool,
> like checkstyle or findbugs.
>
> John
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 6:30 PM James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
> wrote:
>
> > @Peter - Good point about the launcher files.
> >
> > Maybe a README.MD file in the root that points to the POM in the releng
> > project?
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Peter Haumer <phaumer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello.
> > > I agree that we should keep the Eclipse files as James and I both work
> > > with Eclipse and they do not impact any non-Eclipse users at all, but
> > they
> > > make our lives much easier as well as on-boarding new team members will
> > be
> > > much simplified. We can also provide launches to execute the most common
> > > command lines such as build. The only times the Eclipse specific file
> > > change from user to user is if they are using significantly different
> > > Eclipse versions, which is usually not a problem. We both have worked for
> > > years in Eclipse-centric projects and normally teams agree when to move
> > on
> > > to a new version. For now James and I agreed to work with Mars.2.
> > >
> > > There will be one key difference, though. The Parent Maven POM will be
> > > inside a project folder as all files in Eclipse need to be inside a
> > > project. I therefore placed our Maven parent in org.apache.juneau.releng.
> > > So user need to cd there and then run the "mvn package" command.
> > >

> > > Thanks and best regards,
> > > Peter Haumer.

> > > PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
> > > IBM zSystems Software
> > >
> > > [image: Inactive hide details for Craig Russell ---08/02/2016 02:21:00
> > > PM---Hi John, > On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:13 PM, John D. Ament <johnd]Craig
> > > Russell ---08/02/2016 02:21:00 PM---Hi John, > On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:13
> > PM,
> > > John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > From: Craig Russell <craig.russell@oracle.com>
> > > To: dev@juneau.incubator.apache.org
> > > Date: 08/02/2016 02:21 PM
> > > Subject: Re: Maven work
> > > ------------------------------
> > >

> > > Hi John,

> > versions
> > >
> > > I’m not an expert on eclipse but I’ll take your description as gospel.
> > >
> > > If they are dynamically created when the project is first imported into
> > an
> > > eclipse workspace, they are completely unnecessary and should not be
> > > distributed.
> > >
> > > If there is any intelligence in them that would help a user set up the
> > > project in eclipse, and users modify them by their own actions in
> > eclipse,
> > > then they can be annotated as “git ignore” so they are not accidentally
> > > published.
> > >
> > > In any case, they do not need license headers. I think we can tell RAT to

 I'm using a new
it again to make
> > > sure I

> > > work