juneau-dev mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quick update on status of code.
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2016 19:19:23 GMT
On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
wrote:

> Here's a quick update from the past week....
>
> I cleaned up the Eclipse .settings folders and removed the PDE and WTP
> natures from all the projects.  The PDE nature was messing with the maven
> classpath and causing the server JUnits to fail with "signer information
> does not match signer information of other classes in the same package"
> errors. There were a couple of other errors I noticed when running under
> Java 8 that I also fixed. I'm now able to cleanly run all tests on Java 6,
> 7, and 8.

I still struggle a little bit with setting it up in my IDE.  It seems like
the role of the typical root pom is covered by releng/pom.xml.  Would there
be any concerns with moving that to the proper location?

> One interesting note is that I'm seeing consistent timing differences when
> running the core JUnits under different versions of Java...
> Java 6 - ~8 seconds
> Java 7 - ~10 seconds
> Java 8 - ~4.5 seconds

I know Jenkins was mentioned.  Should we have builds for all 3 versions?
What about 9?  IBM JDKs?

> The HashMap optimizations in Java 8 help explain why that's so much faster
> since we use HashMap extensively throughout the code.  I don't know why
> Java 7 seems to be consistently slower than Java 6 though.
>
> Still missing is running the server JUnits as part of the Maven build.
> These are tricky and I don't know enough about Maven yet to know how to
> handle these.  The oaj.samples and oaj.server.test projects get executed as
> REST microservices on port 10000 and 10001 respectively (they get built as
> executable jars).  The JUnits in those projects run against those services
> using the RestClient API.  The old ANT script used to execute those jars
> and then run the JUnits.  We'll need to do something similar using Maven.

Those sound like integration tests.  Is there a simple way to start the
microservice as a main or something in the code?

> Also, we were using Jacoco for test coverage reports in ANT.  If possible,
> I'd like to keep this capability.

Yep, there's a maven jacoco plugin.  Works pretty well.