juneau-dev mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven work
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 23:07:26 GMT
Everything you're describing is achievable with maven solely, and does not
rely on IDE specific tooling.

Basically, you're saying that you can only effectively work on Juneau if
you're using eclipse.  I want to challenge that.

We need to be able to run code quality checks via maven, or some other
build tool.  Any formatting should be implemented using an inspecific tool,
like checkstyle or findbugs.

John

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 6:30 PM James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> project?
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Peter Haumer <phaumer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> > I agree that we should keep the Eclipse files as James and I both work
> > with Eclipse and they do not impact any non-Eclipse users at all, but
> they
> > make our lives much easier as well as on-boarding new team members will
> be
> > much simplified. We can also provide launches to execute the most common
> > command lines such as build. The only times the Eclipse specific file
> > change from user to user is if they are using significantly different
> > Eclipse versions, which is usually not a problem. We both have worked for
> > years in Eclipse-centric projects and normally teams agree when to move
> on
> > to a new version. For now James and I agreed to work with Mars.2.
> >
> > There will be one key difference, though. The Parent Maven POM will be
> > inside a project folder as all files in Eclipse need to be inside a
> > project. I therefore placed our Maven parent in org.apache.juneau.releng.
> > So user need to cd there and then run the "mvn package" command.
> >

> > Thanks and best regards,
> > Peter Haumer.

> > PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
> > IBM zSystems Software
> >
> > [image: Inactive hide details for Craig Russell ---08/02/2016 02:21:00
> > PM---Hi John, > On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:13 PM, John D. Ament <johnd]Craig
> > Russell ---08/02/2016 02:21:00 PM---Hi John, > On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:13
> PM,
> > John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > From: Craig Russell <craig.russell@oracle.com>
> > To: dev@juneau.incubator.apache.org
> > Date: 08/02/2016 02:21 PM
> > Subject: Re: Maven work
> > ------------------------------
> >

> > Hi John,
> >
> > > On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:13 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > The traditional problem I've had with eclipse is that these files are
> > > dynamically generated.  I'm not sure we can apply headers to them for
> > > instance.  So when I open it, I may end up generating different
> versions
> > > than if you or James did.
> >
> > I’m not an expert on eclipse but I’ll take your description as gospel.
> >
> > If they are dynamically created when the project is first imported into
> an
> > eclipse workspace, they are completely unnecessary and should not be
> > distributed.
> >
> > If there is any intelligence in them that would help a user set up the
> > project in eclipse, and users modify them by their own actions in
> eclipse,
> > then they can be annotated as “git ignore” so they are not accidentally
> > published.
> >
> > In any case, they do not need license headers. I think we can tell RAT to

 Let's just
> > work

> it
> > brought