juneau-dev mailing list archives

From James Bognar <james.bog...@salesforce.com>
Subject Re: Quick update on status of code.
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2016 15:44:46 GMT
On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
> wrote:
>
> I still struggle a little bit with setting it up in my IDE.  It seems like
> the role of the typical root pom is covered by releng/pom.xml.  Would there
> be any concerns with moving that to the proper location?

@Peter -
I've created a root-level .project file.  This will create an eclipse
project called "juneau-root" where we can place the releng POM.  I'm fine
with moving the releng POM to the root now that it can be accessed through
Eclipse.  Do you agree?

@John -
One neat thing I just noticed... Our README.md file in the root gets used
when accessing the project through the GitHub mirror.  I think our GitHub
mirror should be the primary portal for accessing our source code.  It's
read-only though, right?  If you want to actually contribute, you need to
access the code through the apache git repo?

> One interesting note is that I'm seeing consistent timing differences when
> > running the core JUnits under different versions of Java...
> > Java 6 - ~8 seconds
> > Java 7 - ~10 seconds
> > Java 8 - ~4.5 seconds
> >

> I know Jenkins was mentioned.  Should we have builds for all 3 versions?
> What about 9?  IBM JDKs?

Agreed.  We use low-level reflection APIs extensively which can be subject
to behavioral differences between vendors and versions.  These tests run in
just seconds, so I'm in favor of adding a good mix of JVMs to test against.

I'm in favor of using Jenkins for builds.  If anyone on the team familiar
with Jenkins?  If not, I'm fine holding off setting that up until later.  I
personally have lots of other stuff on my plate (setting up webpage and
confluence workspaces).

> > Still missing is running the server JUnits as part of the Maven build.
> > These are tricky and I don't know enough about Maven yet to know how to
> > handle these.  The oaj.samples and oaj.server.test projects get executed
> as
> > REST microservices on port 10000 and 10001 respectively (they get built
> as
> > executable jars).  The JUnits in those projects run against those
> services
> > using the RestClient API.  The old ANT script used to execute those jars
> > and then run the JUnits.  We'll need to do something similar using Maven.
>
> Those sound like integration tests.  Is there a simple way to start the
> microservice as a main or something in the code?

Yep....the RestMicroservice class is started up through a main method.  We
invoke it directly when using the juneau-samples launcher to start it up in
Eclipse.
The RestMicroservice class uses info from the MANIFEST.MF file.  But it
works fine whether packaged as an executable jar or loose on the file
system under ./META-INF/MANIFEST.MF.

@Peter - Can you work on adding these integration tests to the POM files?

--
James Bognar