juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Git repo up
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 01:05:10 GMT
I’ve made the changes to the juneau project summary at http://incubator.staging.apache.org/projects/juneau.html

I’m not sure why there are so many pending changes to the incubator site. Once whoever is
working on the report-next-month.html finishes, our changes will go also.

Craig

> On Jul 31, 2016, at 5:54 PM, Craig Russell <craig.russell@oracle.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 31, 2016, at 5:31 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Now that there's code in the repo, I've entered the requests to enable
>> github integration.  This will notify dev@ for PRs being raised, and mirror
>> the repo on to github.
>>
>> More in line.
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 8:22 PM James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've uploaded the contents of Juno from JazzHub.
>>>
>>> Peter and I have been working on the package renames and release scripts on
>>> the GitHub repo.  But we've also been adding new functionality as well.  If
>>> we want a minimal release, then I think we should merge the package renames
>>> and script changes (Peter's work on converting the ANT scripts to Maven),
>>> but hold of on the new feature work.  I'll work on these tomorrow.
>>>

>> Its only a recommendation.  I raise it as a good first step since many
>> projects will falter on bad dependencies coming into the ASF.  We can limit
>> some of those issues by doing proper governance up front.  We can limit
>> this if the first release is only rebranding, to make sure we're building
>> on a solid foundation.
>>
>> Some of the first must haves I see are:
>>
>> - Remove .class files from the code base (as well as any other binaries and
>> eclipse IDE configs)
>> - Rename to ASF normalized names
>> - Apply headers
>> - Use proper NOTICE etc.
>> - Get build scripts and CI running
>>
>> I don't have a strong preference for doing any of this before new feature
>> work. I would love to see a first release within 3 months, but that's
>> always me being wishful.
>>
>> We should start/restart discussions around:
>>
>> - Issue tracking
>> - Committer workflow
>> - CI Jobs/tools
>> - Build tools
>>
>> Hopefully some of those discussions will entice the already invited team
>> members to sign up for the dev list.
>>

>>> I've created an "initial" branch with the initial contents.
>>>

>> Is this permanent, or just for your own sanity?  Now that the SGA has been
>> executed, once the headers are updated and NOTICE established we shouldn't
>> need the initial import.
>
> I think you mean we don’t need the initial branch. I agree. Using master should be
just fine. That said, I’m not a git expert but it seems that git branches should be for
shared feature work and merged to master as quickly as possible.

>> Craig - you'll know this part better than me.  I've seen the incubator stop
>> doing IP Clearances.  My understanding has always been that IP Clearance is
>> only for post imported code, e.g. if I were to donate Hammock (based on a
>> prior thread) that would require IP Clearance.  This import doesn't require
>> IP, right?  Even then, if we have an SGA on file, when is IP Clearance
>> required?
>
> IP Clearance is always required for podlings as part of new project initiation.
>
> As you describe above the optional IP Clearance for non-incubator projects is to bring
in big changes from outside.

> The incubator IP Clearance basically is now done for juneau. We have the ibm-juno.pdf
grant on file and the code just imported is under that grant. So we’re done.

> Craig

>>> we

>>> Its

>>> --