juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Maven work
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 21:20:33 GMT
Hi John,

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:13 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The traditional problem I've had with eclipse is that these files are
> dynamically generated.  I'm not sure we can apply headers to them for
> instance.  So when I open it, I may end up generating different versions
> than if you or James did.

I’m not an expert on eclipse but I’ll take your description as gospel.

If they are dynamically created when the project is first imported into an eclipse workspace,
they are completely unnecessary and should not be distributed.

If there is any intelligence in them that would help a user set up the project in eclipse,
and users modify them by their own actions in eclipse, then they can be annotated as “git
ignore” so they are not accidentally published.

In any case, they do not need license headers. I think we can tell RAT to ignore them.

Craig

> John
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 4:59 PM Craig Russell <craig.russell@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi James, John,
>>
>> I think it is fine to have the source tree contain eclipse-tooling-only
>> artifacts if it makes life easier for eclipse users. I don’t think there
>> are any licensing issues by including these artifacts.
>>
>> In any case, making it easier for users to exploit their tools of choice
>> gets my +1. So I’m also keen on making sure there are maven poms as part of
>> the project, and good instructions for users on how to use their tools of
>> choice.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>>> On Aug 2, 2016, at 1:26 PM, James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll have to mess around with it a bit.  I was pretty sure Eclipse would
>>> not recognize a directory as a project without the presence of the
>> .project
>>> file.

>> james.bognar@salesforce.com>

>> the