From Ash Berlin-Taylor <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Liminal (incubating) 0.0.2rc1-INCUBATING
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2021 14:55:14 GMT
Hi Aviem,

Hi everyone, Airflow PMC here.

First off, eek. Not sure how this happened, it's been like this for a while.

I agree -- we could possibly fix the direct dependency on requests/chardet in Airflow, but
as you have already discovered there are many more python libraries that depend upon requests
- docker and kubernetes being the two that are hard to work around!.

(Kubernetes has a _direct_ dep on a lgpl'd dep too)

I'm writing a post to legal@apache.org, as _my_ reading is that depending upon LGPLd library
at runtime only, but not shipping it is "work that uses the Library", and as per clause 5
of the LGPL 2.1 license should be fine https://opensource.org/licenses/LGPL-2.1

> A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is designed
to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is called a "work that uses
the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and therefore
falls outside the scope of this License.

(There are a few caveats to this, so be careful about what else you might do with the code,
such as creating)

We'll see what Legal say about this.

Thanks,
Ash