From "kezhenxu94@apache" <kezhenx...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Helm chart as a derived downstream software artifact
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2021 03:54:44 GMT
Hi

> I would like the first release of this package to be an official Apache release. I am
therefore of the mindset that it should be treated as any other official Apache source code
release.

Right, it should follow the Apache release policy and release source tar to be an official
Apache release.
So there is no exception IMO to release the Helm Chart source tar.

While at the same time, Apache also allows (not requires) binary releases or distributions
to third-party platforms, such as Pypi,  Docker Hub, npmjs.com, etc.

You may be interested in the distribution guide [1] (for incubating projects though)

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/Distribution+Guidelines

> Can someone point me to a precedent or policy pertaining to the publication of derived
downstream software artifacts such as containers, Helm charts, etc.

There are also some TLPs [2] that did Helm Chart releases just for your reference.

[2] https://artifacthub.io/packages/helm/apache-solr/solr-operator (https://github.com/apache/solr-operator)
    https://artifacthub.io/packages/helm/apache/pulsar (https://github.com/apache/pulsar-helm-chart)
    https://github.com/apache/skywalking-kubernetes

> Thank you