From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 8
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2020 22:09:39 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 8, 2020, at 1:52 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>>> LICENSE is also missing the license for the trykker font and may be missing other
things.

>> Good catch as that file was in the .rat-excludes. This font is Class B and should
not be included. Heron will need to find another Serif Font.

>> https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL_web
>

> I think inclusion of fonts under the OFL may be a little more nuanced than that. Generally
you can’t include compiled code in a source release, a binary font file may not be considered
code and is unlikely to be modified, so it may be possible to include this in a source release.
Perhaps best to ask on legal-discuss?

I don’t consider an SVG based font to be strictly binary. It’s very opaque source. You
can certainly derive metrics easily.

Sure it’s probably worth describing if there is a way to include these in Source releases.
Maybe the OFL 1.1 is more acceptable.

> I know of several projects who do include OFL licensed fonts. A quick search shows  Atlas,
Brooklyn, Cordova, ECharts, Falcon, Flex, Flink, Geode, Hivemall, Jena, MyFaces, ShardingSphere,
Solr, Superset, Syncope, Taz, Usergrid, Wicket, Yetus, Zepplin and others mentioning it in
their LICENSE file. I’ve not checked if it in their source release but do know that it is
the case for some of these projects. Also possibly OFBiz.

> I recall this being discussed but can’t find the discussion and legal JIRAs don’t
seem much help other than to say its category B. [1][2]

Let’s ask again on legal-discuss@