From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 8
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2020 21:51:57 GMT
Hi,

>> LICENSE is also missing the license for the trykker font and may be missing other
things.

> Good catch as that file was in the .rat-excludes. This font is Class B and should not
be included. Heron will need to find another Serif Font.

> https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL_web

I think inclusion of fonts under the OFL may be a little more nuanced than that. Generally
you can’t include compiled code in a source release, a binary font file may not be considered
code and is unlikely to be modified, so it may be possible to include this in a source release.
Perhaps best to ask on legal-discuss?

I know of several projects who do include OFL licensed fonts. A quick search shows  Atlas,
Brooklyn, Cordova, ECharts, Falcon, Flex, Flink, Geode, Hivemall, Jena, MyFaces, ShardingSphere,
Solr, Superset, Syncope, Taz, Usergrid, Wicket, Yetus, Zepplin and others mentioning it in
their LICENSE file. I’ve not checked if it in their source release but do know that it is
the case for some of these projects. Also possibly OFBiz.

I recall this being discussed but can’t find the discussion and legal JIRAs don’t seem
much help other than to say its category B. [1][2]

But replacing it with a font under with a category A license is also an option.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-380
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-112