From Sheng Zha <zhash...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.8.0.rc2
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2020 20:56:56 GMT
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for the help and support. In MXNet we do use Apache Rat as part of our
CI, and it's run on every pull request [1]. When executing license check, we excluded some
file types (e.g. intermediate outputs from builds, lock files, etc.), and some third-party
modules that we bundle in source distribution [2] (as license headers are missing in some
of their files). For third-party licenses, as part of 1.8.0.rc2 check, we went through a thorough
review of third-party files and assembled their licenses into our LICENSE file [3]. The last
effort should have covered those that show as unknown license from a complete Rat check.

In the meantime, in future releases we will explore minimizing the bundled third-party code
to completely resolve any such potential issue and try to make sure that we have control to
the license headers of all files we bundle. Let us know if there is any suggestion to help
us earn +1s from this list.

Thanks,
Sheng

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/6bc064771d805163cd22123e9b3ec25bb55341d3/ci/docker/runtime_functions.sh#L1013-L1034