From Evan Rusackas <e...@preset.io>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Superset (incubating) as a TLP
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2020 04:25:56 GMT
Hi Justin,

I wanted to follow up on those three concerns and how we’re addressing them, in hopes that
we’re able to move forward with the graduation process.
On Oct 9, 2020, 12:12 AM -0700, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>, wrote:
> > (1) PPMC members not subscribed to the private list.

I hope that everyone is now subscribed after the last round of nagging, but I still have
no way to confirm who’s not on the list. Some people were having some technical issue subscribing
via email (it seems to silently fail for some reason), but for what it’s worth, the Whimsy
Signup UI  [1] worked for those who are aware they're having this issue.

If being on the list is a dealbreaker, please send me/us a current list and we’ll either
continue to work with them, or take them off the roster.
> > (2) Synchronous Meetings
>
> The biggest issue I see is the this is not being announced or discussed on the mailing
list and what is discussed in those meetings is not brought back to the list. Having these
external discussions is a huge barrier to people who want to contribute to the project but
for one reason or another (e.g. time zones or day job or other commitments) can’t attend
that meeting. By having these you are basically limiting people who can attend to full time
employees paid to work on the project in a similar time zone, that excludes a lot of people.This
was mentioned as an issue in a previous board report but nothing seems to have been done about
it. One of the core values of Apache projects is that discussions need to be asynchronous
and inclusive. It would be helpful if your mentors added their thoughts about this.

After taking this up with our mentors, we’ve seemingly landed on an agreed plan to address
this by making the following adjustments/commitments:

• Announcing the meetings in advance (this just happened on the dev@ list, actually)
• Rotating the time slot to be more accommodating to other regions
• Increasing grow community/public attendance
• Sharing out the notes to the list after each meeting
• Sharing out video of the meetings after they transpire, whenever available
• Committing to not making any community-wide decisions in these meetings
> > (3) Links to other companies

This has been discussed on the private list with our mentors, and while the thread with trademarks@apache.org
remains unanswered, we’ve gone ahead with your advice and removed the links from the logos
on the website for now. [2]

Let me/us know if there are further actions needed on any of these three points, but I’m
hoping we’re closer to earning your +1 on the VOTE thread!

Thanks again,

[1] https://whimsy.apache.org/committers/subscribe
[2] http://superset.incubator.apache.org/

Evan Rusackas