From Dave Fisher <wave4d...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: BlueMarlin Slow Bootstrap into Incubator
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2020 05:28:25 GMT
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help.

I took a look at https://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html

It is out of date and COMPLETELY misses DNS requests!

Let’s discuss creating a new page that is prescriptive on current procedure to bootstrap
a podling. Anything in the Infra docs to review?

I explain four phases to a podling in my Hatching the Clutch talks. I think that the mentor
guide should follow these phases.

(1) Proposal
(2) Bootstrap
(3) Incubation
(4) Graduation

We need to enumerate the role of mentors and champions in these phases as simply as possible.

Best Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 8, 2020, at 9:45 PM, Dave Fisher <wave@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Infra,
>
> I’ve created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20970
>
> Here is the current situation with bluemarlin dns:
>
> davewave@Daves-MacBook-Pro ~ % nslookup bluemarlin.apache.org
> Server:        2001:558:feed::1
> Address:    2001:558:feed::1#53
>
> ** server can't find bluemarlin.apache.org: NXDOMAIN
>
> davewave@Daves-MacBook-Pro ~ % nslookup bluemerlin.apache.org
> Server:        2001:558:feed::1
> Address:    2001:558:feed::1#53
>
> ** server can't find bluemerlin.apache.org: NXDOMAIN
>
> davewave@Daves-MacBook-Pro ~ % nslookup bluemerlin.incubator.apache.org
> Server:        2001:558:feed::1
> Address:    2001:558:feed::1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    bluemerlin.incubator.apache.org
> Address: 95.216.24.32
> Name:    bluemerlin.incubator.apache.org
> Address: 40.79.78.1
> Name:    bluemerlin.incubator.apache.org
> Address: 95.216.26.30
>
> davewave@Daves-MacBook-Pro ~ % nslookup bluemarlin.incubator.apache.org
> Server:        2001:558:feed::1
> Address:    2001:558:feed::1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    bluemarlin.incubator.apache.org
> Address: 95.216.26.30
> Name:    bluemarlin.incubator.apache.org
> Address: 95.216.24.32
> Name:    bluemarlin.incubator.apache.org
> Address: 40.79.78.1
>
> davewave@Daves-MacBook-Pro ~ %
>

> Thanks,
> Dave
>
>> On Oct 8, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As I said it’s looks to be a DNS issue, bluemarlin.incubator.apache.org resolves
but bluemarlin.apache.org doesn’t. So depending on which domain you use it you get different
results. This hasn’t been fixed yet.