From Evan Rusackas <e...@preset.io>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Superset (incubating) as a TLP
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2020 06:41:34 GMT
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the updated list. We’ll keep doing what we can to tie up these loose ends cross
the finish line, by all means! Let’s tackle these item by item:

(1) PPMC members not subscribed to the private list.

I’ve just reached out to the list of people you previously sent who were not subscribed.
Several of them claim to have subscribed, and I show 19 list members. Since there are 22 PPMC
members, I hope this means there are only 3 left unsubscribed. In any case, I’ve reached
out to them all to confirm their subscriptions via Whimsy and (re)subscribe if needed.

I have no way to see who is or isn’t on the list, so if you’re able to send an updated
list of who’s missing, we’ll continue to chase this down. I’ve let them know that their
PPMC membership is at risk over the issue.

(2) Synchronous Meetings

I’m only one voice in the room, but here are my thoughts on the matter:

• Synchronous meetings have a value to them that's not easily replaced by email. Discussions
happen around technical work taking place on certain PRs or other ongoing work. Asking and
answering questions conversationally is often quite effective. If things are at all contentious,
they're routinely brought back to the whole community as a SIP (Superset Improvement Proposal),
which has happened numerous times.
• Showing the company in the attendance log isn’t intended to lend any importance to the
org, but tracks involvement, in service of continuing to maintain a diverse PPMC going forward.
We can certainly list name first, org second on the attendance record if that helps.
• The meeting isn't a secret by any means. There are in fact 88 people on the calendar event,
and more are welcome! We’ll continue to make a point of increasing engagement (though there
are inherent attendance limitations with platforms like Zoom). As we try to scale engagement,
we’re also open to (re)sharing the public doc with meeting notes via Slack and/or email.

Please let us know if there are any other steps we can take to make sure these (or potentially
other) meetings/meetups/syncs among members of our community can continue in a manner compatible
with Apache’s interests/concerns.

(3) Links to other companies

I’ve reached out to our mentors (via the private@ list, in case we can get any other input
as well) on the issue, and hope to hear back soon about how other TLPs (e.g. Drill, Airflow, Beam,
and surely more), have surmounted this logo usage issue.

Last but not least, thanks again for your help in guiding us through all of this!

Evan Rusackas
( he | him )
Frontend Lead
Preset | preset.io

On Oct 7, 2020, 11:07 PM -0700, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These change all look fine. So it seem the only outstanding things (unless any IPMC member
brings up something else) are:
> - PPMC member not subscribe to the private list
> - How to deal with the synchronous meetings
> - Links to other companies on your front page. Have one of your mentors (or any ASF member
in your project) take a look at this thread on the incubator private list [1].