From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] YuniKorn Proposal
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2019 22:24:52 GMT
Hi Wangda,

There is a distinction between licensing the code to Apache, which is done via SGA, and giving
Apache rights to the name, which is done by a trademark assignment.

Apache in general will not use the name if Cloudera who owns the name intends to keep using
it. Apache would need to rename the project if Cloudera intends to keep it.

The Yunikorn brand is currently in use by Cloudera. If you can clarify that Cloudera intends
to assign the trademark to Apache, then we will need to have that in writing (in the proposal)
and work with Trademarks to work on the trademark assignment.

Regards,
Craig

> On Dec 16, 2019, at 11:04 PM, Wangda Tan <wtan@cloudera.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
>>> We will add it to the proposal before a vote. We have done similar
>>> practices like a PODLINGNAMESEARCH.
>>
>> Great sounds good. Have you checked with Cloudera legal that they would be
>> willing to hand the name over to the ASF?
>>
>> We recently has a situation where a podling was unable to use it name a
>> few months into incubation because of this and it caused Infra a lot of
>> unnecessary work.
>>

> We have already got SGA (Software Grant Agreement) from Cloudera, I'm not
> sure if we need to attach the SGA now, before vote or so. Is there any
> additional documentation needed apart from SGA.
>
> Thanks,
> Wangda Tan

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org