From Wangda Tan <w...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] YuniKorn Proposal
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2019 07:04:02 GMT
Hi Justin,

Please find my responses inline below.

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 4:36 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thats for your replies.
>
> > The reason the number of contributors not significantly grow is the
> project
> > is hosted under cloudera.com, contributors from other companies are not
> > comfortable with contributing to other company's repo and even hesitate
> > try that.
>
> Fair enough. Are there any concerns along those lines given it still the
> same core set of developers that will be working on it?

No concerns, we will continue to invest in this project as it is important
to our product, and expanding the community with more diversities is on our
top of the priority

> > To answer what is the philosophy behind non-code committers we added.
> > - The initial committers are from several relevant Apache projects who
> are
> > interested in YuniKorn and committed to giving guidance, suggestions and
> > participant in the future if possible.
>
> The if possible concerns me. Are these people committed to being PPMC
> members or not? All initial commutes are PPMC members not just committers.
>
> Do people on the initial committer list realise their responsibilities
> also include:
> - voting on releases
> - helping with board reports
> - understand and applying ASF policies and values
> - helping to grow the community
> - voting on new committers and PPMC members
>
> I not aware of the discussions that took place before this proposal come
> to the Incubator so everyone may already be aware and willing to do that.
> However, if that’s not the case, it may be better to vote them in as
> committers/PPMC members once they make contributions to the project.

I think my previous response is not right, what I meant is:

*"The initial committers are from several relevant Apache projects who are
interested in YuniKorn and committed to giving guidance, suggestions to the
project, help to grow the community; and if possible, participants in code
development."*

They're aware of the PPMC requirements, I don't think there's any surprise
to proposed initial committers.

> > We will add it to the proposal before a vote. We have done similar
> > practices like a PODLINGNAMESEARCH.
>
> Great sounds good. Have you checked with Cloudera legal that they would be
> willing to hand the name over to the ASF?
>
> We recently has a situation where a podling was unable to use it name a
> few months into incubation because of this and it caused Infra a lot of
> unnecessary work.

We have already got SGA (Software Grant Agreement) from Cloudera, I'm not
sure if we need to attach the SGA now, before vote or so. Is there any
additional documentation needed apart from SGA.

Thanks,
Wangda Tan