From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] YuniKorn Proposal
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2019 02:35:09 GMT
Hi,

Sounds like a good proposal.

I can see it was opened source back in March but you haven’t seemed to have made any releases
or added any new committers since then. An I correct in that assumption? Is the any reason
for that? I note in the proposal that you have people from other organisations that you say
are already collaborating with you on Github, but I cannot see much if any activity from them.
The core repo has 5 main committers (and two others). The other repos are similar. As you
note not all contribution are code, so I may be missing something. Can you explain how the
initial committers were chosen and provide a bit more detail on their relationship to the
project?

You mention the use of Slack, weekly catch up and open community meetings. How is the information
discussed there passed on to other community members who are not on slack or not able to attend
those meetings? Are any decisions made at those meetings or on Slack?

The length of time to incubate seems a little on the short side, especially for a project
that doesn’t seem to have a large community around it and most of the core set of developers
working for a single company. I’d be happy to be proven wrong about that, but if the project
ended up in incubation for longer would this be an issue?. Projects typically spend 1 to 1
1/2 years in the incubator, some take less time some take more, some a lot more.

There’s at least one section missing from your proposal [1], the information on the project
name is important, can you answer that? Infra in particular is concerned about the amount
of effort a name change takes.

Your mentors need to be IPMC members [2][3] but as Dave notes, being ASF members they can
ask to join the IPMC.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://wiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/New+Podling+Proposal