From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] MetaObjects for Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2019 18:34:04 GMT
HI

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Nygard, Carl J <carl.nygard@cengage.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> Cengage wishes to donate the code to Apache, but is unable to do so until the
project is accepted as an Incubator project.

>> Could you expand a little on why is that?
>
> Perhaps it is an issue of understanding the path to Incubator and trying to deal with
the corporate policies regarding open-source donation.  Donation to Apache seems to be the
clearest path with the least number of obstacles.

Agreed. The concern is that should the SGA not happen due to internal issues at the donating
company that podling will have trouble succeeding. We’ve seen that with a podling that took
over 6 months to get an SGA and essentially lost all its mentors.

>>> The Apache community members looking to approve the project understandably would
like to better understand what they are approving and so would like to get access to the code
which is to be donated.

>> I don’t see this a being a big issue, the other code can be donated later, but
may complicate things in terms of SGAs, ICLAs and IP provenance.

The issue is seeing the code to check to see if there are dependencies that don’t fit with
Apache Release Policy. Of course this is also a part of Incubation.

> Can you expand on this?  Is there a different process for donating a large body of work
to an existing Incubator project?

No - such a donation would be an additional SGA and/or CLA.

I have not looked deeply at your proposal, but I think the concern would be who your mentors
are and whether or not the IPMC thinks that these issues will be handled properly.

(But I’m just another member of the IPMC and not Justin)

Regards,
Dave