From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Podling release vote terminology
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 18:53:57 GMT
Craig,

You seem to imply that things used to be done differently. If so, can
you point to process documents or example threads of how things were
done differently in the past.

Are you proposing merely a change in terminology, or a change in
process? The two "votes" are very real, since they have distinct
threads, and distinct result/cancel messages. I'd set a high bar to
move to a new process because the current process is working (albeit
with some confusion which could be cleared up with better
documentation).

Julian

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:27 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that would be a good way to clear up some of the confusion. +1
>

>> On May 9, 2017, at 2:00 PM, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've seen a few (recent) incubator votes that imply that there are two separate,
distinct votes: one in the podling and one in the incubator general. And lots of questions
about binding votes and carried-over votes and whose votes are counted.

>> I'd like to suggest:
>>
>> There is one vote for a podling release candidate. The first phase of the vote takes
place on the podling dev list. Anyone can vote. An affirmative vote by three PPMC members
(including mentors) is sufficient to start the second phase, which takes place on the incubator
general list. An individual's vote can be changed any time during either phase until the final
vote is tallied.

>> All votes are counted. Only IPMC member votes are binding. The final tally counts
affirmative, neutral, and negative votes from both phases combined and affirmative, neutral
and negative binding votes from both phases combined.

>> This terminology answers questions about:
>>
>> Whether PPMC votes are binding. They are not.
>> Whether IPMC member votes on the first phase of voting carry over to the second phase.
They do.
>> Whether public votes in either phase count. They do.
>> Whether public votes in either phase are binding. They are not.
>
> Are you proposing to include these questions/answers in the docs? I think it would help
prevent any misinterpretation of the terminology.