From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Podling release vote terminology
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 18:47:17 GMT
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen a few (recent) incubator votes that imply that there are two separate, distinct
votes:
> one in the podling and one in the incubator general. And lots of questions about binding
votes
> and carried-over votes and whose votes are counted.
>
> I'd like to suggest:
>
> There is one vote for a podling release candidate. The first phase of the vote takes
place on the podling dev list.
> Anyone can vote. An affirmative vote by three PPMC members (including mentors) is sufficient
to start the second
> phase, which takes place on the incubator general list. An individual's vote can be changed
any time during either
> phase until the final vote is tallied.
>
> All votes are counted. Only IPMC member votes are binding. The final tally counts affirmative,
neutral, and
> negative votes from both phases combined and affirmative, neutral and negative binding
votes from both phases
> combined.

I think this talk about distinct phases is confusing, but otherwise I
really like where this is going.

To me -- there are no two distinct phases -- there's just opening up
of an initial vote.

Or to put it another way, I'd like to optimize for a happy path. Which
is: vote goes on
on dev@ and receives 3+ binding votes from IPMC members. At that point I'd like
the vote to be DONE.

Is there a way for us to optimize for that? From where I sit one way to optimize
is simply frontload the process and ALWAYS CC: IPMC on the community votes.

> This terminology answers questions about:
>
> Whether PPMC votes are binding. They are not.
> Whether IPMC member votes on the first phase of voting carry over to the second phase.
They do.
> Whether public votes in either phase count. They do.
> Whether public votes in either phase are binding. They are not.
>
> If we agree on the terminology, I'll see what documents need to be updated.

Terminology makes sense.

Thanks,
Roman.