From Bolke de Bruin <bdbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Airflow voting on release artifacts
Date Mon, 01 May 2017 18:44:16 GMT

> On 1 May 2017, at 17:36, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>

> On 5/1/17, 7:44 AM, "Hitesh Shah" <hitesh@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> Currently, the podling has been modifying the contents and hence this
>> discussion.
>
> I agree with Justin and others that modification after the vote is not a
> good thing.  So my assumption was that if you add your 2a step and modify
> the binary before the vote, it will be acceptable.  IMO, all you need is a
> way to verify that the binary the voters test is essentially the same as
> the binary you want to actually release.
>
> -Alex

Hi Alex,

As mentioned earlier this is not possible in a clean way. Version information is contained
within the source package and it is required by specification to be. Installation happens
from this source package. There are no “binaries”.

We understand the need to vote on the artefacts, however the way it is required to work put
us between a rock and a hard place: either our users can end up with an outdated pre-release
while reporting they have the release installed or we need to vote 2+2 times (PMC+IPMC).

We are looking to optimize this process either technically or procedurally, but until so far
haven’t been able to distill anything that really helps.

Cheers
Bolke