From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: private list subscriptions
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 00:19:17 GMT

> On May 20, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 20, 2017, at 4:05 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Dumb question time.
>
> I don't think the question is dumb.
>>
>> Should we encourage that @apache.org addresses are used when subscribing to
>> a private PMC list; and if not all PMC members have subscribed on a
>> podling, can one subscribe their @apache.org addresses for them?
>>
>> Or should we mandate that @apache are used?
>
> I don't think Apache should be interfering with peoples' email practices. People like
to control the disposition of mail they receive. For example, subscribing different email
addresses to different lists is for some a lot easier than trying to manage rules for which
messages go into which folders.

>> Does anything automatic happen that ensures that only committers'
>> addresses, or one of their preferred alternative addresses, are being used?
>> I'm suspecting not.
>
> Private list subscriptions are always moderated. Moderators have an obligation to verify
that the email address proposed to be subscribed to a list belongs to an authorized user.
Authorized meaning that the email is registered to an Apache committer via the id.apache.org
tool.

And I omitted: The moderator must then verify that the committer is authorized to subscribe
to that list. Members can always subscribe to any list. Non-members can only subscribe to
lists that their role entitles them to. For PMCs, PMC members can subscribe to private@project.apache.org
lists. For Incubator, IPMC members can subscribe to any private@podling.apache.org lists.
For podlings, PPMC members can subscribe to private@podling.apache.org lists.

Craig

P.S. I just tried to find documentation for the authorization for subscribing to PPMC mail
lists and could not find it. So others might have a different opinion of who may subscribe
to PPMC private lists. Or others might be able to find incubator policy that supports (or
contradicts) my view.

> I'm personally responsible for moderating subscription lists and while it's somewhat
of a nuisance, it's manageable. Comes with the moderator territory.

> So I don't believe this is a problem. If you suspect that some subscribers to some private
lists are not authorized, please raise this with infra.

> Regards,
>
> Craig
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Hen