From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: Apache Weex-incubating Release 0.12.0-RC3
Date Sun, 07 May 2017 14:47:59 GMT

> On May 6, 2017, at 10:04 AM, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> 3. The java source files in android/commons/src are still in the
>>> com.alibaba name space. Assuming that these are actually weex source files,
>>> they must be repackaged to org.apache.
>>>
>> The ASF actually has no policy around this.  There is no requirement for
>> any specific Java package name.  We do however encourage the usage from a
>> branding standpoint.  To this day, Groovy continues to use
>> org.codehaus.groovy to avoid backwards compatibility issues.
>
> Ok. I would be interested to see the user code that actually contains references to these
package names. I thought from brief inspection that this was a set of tools used by gui developers
not programmers.

If the project intends to repackage all of the source files from the com.alibaba name space,
then I have no problem with an incubator release.

But if the intent is to keep the com.alibaba name space, we need a discussion. The reference
to org.codehaus.groovy is a good one. It refers to the existing non-commercial community-supported
code base. But having a commercial entity with its name prominent in an Apache project is
asking for trouble. It raises branding issues that I'm not comfortable with.

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org