From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is the incubator full?
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2016 00:58:05 GMT
I like the slider metaphor.

When I mentor, I like to start with the slider hard over by active,
especially during champion phase, but moving toward passive after the first
clean release and report or two.

I don't think that inactive projects actually require all that much thought
or action. The ones that take time are the ones with a poisonous
personality or total melt-down due to misunderstanding what Apache is. For
instance, Datafu hardly takes any effort for it to sit in incubator.
Corinthia took a very lot of time over a short time to resolve.

As I see it, we have a variety of kinds of workloads that have variable
levels of scalability. The mentorship is supposed to scale by picking off
volunteers from incubation projects as they come by ... Taylor is a poster
child recently for that.

Release checking is a less scalable resource that we have not scaled lately.

Explosion cleanup is also much less scalable, partly because it is hard to
predict what the workload will be and partly because it is unpleasant work.

If we decide that we want to meter the number of projects and can agree on
a metering level, it is actually not that hard to do the throttling on
intake. All we have to do is change our voting to be a periodic stack
ranking of incoming candidates to fit into available holes.

Agreeing on the number of available holes is a lot harder to do. Getting
consensus on that probably means that we need to identify some functions
and let those volunteering for that function decide that the current load
is higher than, lower than or equal to what they can handle. If all of our
functions agree that we can handle more, we increase slots. If one function
feels that they are overloaded, we decrease slots. Else, slots remains the
same.

My guess is that doing this well will feel a lot like busywork /
bureaucracy.

Does anybody else have a thought on that?