From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject On Fluo (was Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Fluo Parent POM 1-incubating (rc2))
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 19:57:48 GMT
Mentor here catching up on things here after being offline for a week...

Wow. This rather blew up! A couple of things I wanted to say, in
addition to an ACK that this mentor is paying attention (as much as the
email backlog is caught up, anyways).

- I think there is a very fair point brought up by Craig/Justin/John at
the gray line between "Apache Fluo" and "fluo.io". However, I will say
that I do *not* think this is remotely close to the level that we've
seen in other TLPs as of late (will avoid explicit finger-pointing).
That said, I think the outcome that the PPMC has came to on their own as
next steps is healthy (see dev@fluo list). I also plan to address why
some of these software tools which were developed in tandem with Fluo
(pre-Apache) were not included with the original incubation proposal (I
hadn't realized they were listed on the website as they were). I would
venture most are unintentional omissions as the website came verbatim
from pre-Apache fluo. The podling has already been responsive to my
nit-picks on ASF and Incubator branding requests that I put forth to them.

- One thing that initially worried me is that a software release was
being -1'd over podling branding (the later concession to separate the
topics did make me happy). Proper branding for podlings, especially ones
that have a pre-Apache life, is obviously tricky to do well and cycles
of the review are inevitable. However, given how difficult creating
properly-licensed ASF releases is, should branding concerns be lumped
into release votes? Is there another mechanism by which we as IPMC can
give feedback to podlings at a time which they are not already stressed
trying to make a software release?

I'm reminded of John's
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BrandingAuditJune2016 which was a
great high-level insight across podlings. Are branding-audits something
that mentors could drive with their PPMC directly with shepherds/IPMC
bringing their concerns directly to the PPMC/metnors (to avoid licensing
becoming entangled with branding)? IPMC would obviously still have the
ability to escalate things in very heinous situations, but -1'ing
releases for website issues doesn't sit right with me presently (I'm
happy to be taught otherwise, too).

- Josh