From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Preferred name for package distributions
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:25:43 GMT
(bcc: trademarks@ so we can document recommendation at stable URL)

Thanks for the commentary and excellent pulling together of different
information on this question!

The details of trademarks are more applicable to project homepages,
download pages, and the info or about blurbs that various global package
listings provide.  I.e. when a human comes to learn about your FOO code,
they should see Apache FOO first and clearly understand it's an Apache
project.  The details of the actual filename software blob they then get
is less important.

My rule of thumb:

- If the package manager has clear standards that are widely used for
org-product or product naming styles, follow that, whatever it is.

- Otherwise, we prefer apache-foo naming style.

Make sense?  It's always useful to include the Apache, but it's more
important for software filenames to follow the expected convention in
that particular universe.

- Shane