From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: request to be a member of the IPMC
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2016 15:18:00 GMT
On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Dhruba Borthakur <dhruba@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a PMC member of the Apache Hadoop project. Is it possible for me to
> get added to the IPMC?

Thanks for taking an interest in the Incubator!  I'd encourage you to
help out podlings, to check out the Incubator's documentation, to
follow general@incubator closely, and so on (and also to get involved
at other places around the Foundation, like Infrastructure, ComDev,
Legal Affairs, etc.). From there, the Incubator is a project like
other ASF projects: once you have accumulated merit and established a
record of positive contributions, then if the PMC is working as it
should someone will nominate you for membership and there will be a
vote on the private list.

There is a group of people that can join the IPMC by request: ASF
Members, a group of ~600 people who are effectively the shareholders
of the Foundation.  ASF Members and PMC members are not the same
thing.  See <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html> for
an explanation of those and other roles at Apache.

I'd also like to add that personnel matters are generally handled on
private lists at Apache.  We try to limit usage of private lists, but
that's one of the main use cases (along with sensitive legal and
security matters).

Best,

Marvin Humphrey