From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shepherd Shortage for December Report
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2015 02:09:51 GMT

> On Dec 2, 2015, at 8:27 PM, Justin Mclean <justinmclean@me.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Then I'd say let it die. My only concern is that that it offers a way for non-members
an entry path to the ipmc. If we eliminate it, there should be an alternative for new IPMC
candidates to show interest and demonstrate merit.

> I have that concern as well, as that’s how I come to be on the IPMC. But I assume just
showing up and helping out here would be a valid alternative.

I would hope so. But sometimes just showing up and helping out isn't enough to register with
us (IPMC) that an individual would like to get involved and join the IPMC if they are not
a member. In that sense, we might be missing out.

A number of ASF projects try to lower the barrier to entry by tagging issues as "newbie,"
or something similar. Maybe something like that for the incubator wouldn't hurt -- an answer
to "Hey, I'd really like to get involved with the incubator. What can I do to help?" -- With
a clear answer.

-Taylor

P.S.: If the the non-member route was how Justin came to the IPMC, then we need to retain
or replace such a route. IMO, he is close to the gold standard for vetting releases, and has
caught many things that I (or many TLPs for that matter) would have missed.