From Jacopo Cappellato <jacopo.cappell...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Freemarker Incubation proposal
Date Thu, 28 May 2015 08:14:04 GMT
Ok, I have updated the proposal to include the feedback received (there is a new paragraph
about the relationship with Velocity, Commons and I have added Ralph and Sergio as mentors).
Thanks to all of you.

Any other feedback? Should we move to the next step (that I think is starting a vote)?

Cheers,

Jacopo

On May 26, 2015, at 8:17 AM, Ralph Goers <Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> While that is certainly a valid option, I would think that would be a topic for determine
how to exit the incubator.

> Ralph
>
>> On May 22, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Siegfried Goeschl <siegfried.goeschl@it20one.com>
wrote:

>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> regarding “lower bar for project sexiness and buzzwordyness” - another options
would be using an existing ASF umbrella project, e.g. Apache Commons. There you find a lot
“unsexy but heavily used stuff” … ;-)

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Siegfried Goeschl
>>
>>> On 22 May 2015, at 19:31, Daniel Dekany <ddekany@freemail.hu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Technically (i.e., in source code), I don't think Velocity and
>>> Freemarker can share much. It seems that they kind of share fate
>>> though. Apparently, everyone has something more important to
>>> contribute to. And that's fine, I say, because what put these template
>>> engines into the spotlight 15(?) years ago was Web MVC, and legacy
>>> JSP's deficiencies to server that paradigm. It was a hot topic back
>>> then. But nowadays, just like in the case of Velocity (apparently),
>>> finding guys who want to hack this project for free after coding all
>>> day at the workplace, and instead of being with their families and all
>>> that, is, well... challenging. And it seems companies don't care to
>>> invest either by putting paid developers on it. (Certainly the same
>>> companies wouldn't be too happy if Freemarker is suddenly EOL-ed,
>>> though.) I guess there's some kind lower bar in project sexiness and
>>> buzzwordyness under which life just stops when it comes to
>>> contributions. Those same properties aren't needed for the project
>>> being heavily used though.
>>>
>>> So that's where we stand. But does it mean these projects should die?
>>> I don't think so. Does it mean that these projects are not for Apache?
>>> I don't know that, you tell me! Surely I don't want FM to go into
>>> incubation if failure is the most probable outcome. Can the
>>> requirements for getting out from incubation successfully be
>>> quantified? For the kind of project like this?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Daniel Dekany

Incubator PMC