From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Whimsy PMC
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:37:43 GMT
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Not sure if your concern is diversity or scale, so I'll address both separately. If your
concern is
> something else please be more explicit.
>
> Graduation does not require diversity of the PMC. It requires that the project be run
according to
> the Apache Way which includes being open to any viewpoint brought to the project, regardless
> of the source. Furthermore, the initial set of committers covers a wide range of contributing
> orgs (although we are all doing this with ASF hats).

It is actually neither. It is viability of the community outside of requirements
of a very particular organization. IOW, the only way for me to make sure
that community is not joined at the hip with ASF INFRA would be to see
other foundations adopt the tools and joining the community.

> As for going straight to TLP I agree. Sam did say this was a possibility but
> I believe he (rightly so) wants to ensure that the proposal is solid before
> asking the board and IPMC to consider this path.

Good. That would be my preferred way there then. Honestly, given the
composition of the initial Whimsy community straight to TLP path is much
more efficient way to go about it. IMHO, there's not much that Incubator
experience would bring to the table for Whimsy.

Thanks,
Roman.