From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Geode Incubation proposal
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 19:20:03 GMT
It's nothing to do with my browser. If I click the download link I get asked to join the "Pivotal
Network" before I can download it.

If I understand the response below correctly you misspoke when you said there were "export"
issues. That in fact there is no related export restriction, it's actually about the licensing
issue. If that's the case then the proposal is correct in not highlighting these issues -
thanks for clarifying that.

I replied to the third part in response to Bill's question. However, to be sure my point gets
across. Now that you have confirmed there are in fact no export restrictions then I have no
problem with the proposal. However, I'd still like to be able to evaluate the code and to
do so I would need to know what I'm agreeing to under the evaluation license.

-----Original Message-----
From: shaposhnik@gmail.com [mailto:shaposhnik@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman Shaposhnik
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 12:38 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Geode Incubation proposal

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Pivotal are asking me to agree to an "evaluation license" which I cannot view before
I sign up.
> So I have to review the privacy policy first.

This must be a bug in your browser. What OS/Browser are you using?

The text of the license is also available in a separate file under the name "Evaluation License":
    https://network.pivotal.io/products/project-geode

> Most importantly, the "export and license obligations" you mention are
> something that have to go away before we can accept the project (or more accurately before
it can graduate).
> Since I can't evaluate the code or the license I have no way of evaluating whether this
is possible.

> There is no mention of such an item under "known risks" or the
> "crypotography" section of the proposal so what's this "export" stuff about (assuming
the license thing is the evaluation license)?

Sorry for not being more explicit: this is just how Pivotal distribution network works.
And we have to use it in this particular case in order to guarantee that the evaluation license
has been explicitly acknowledged (as opposed to just being there in a tarball). All these
constraints has nothing to do with the source code itself.

> Given the points above I do not see how I can evaluate this proposal in its current form.

I see that Bill has asked the question that I wanted to ask here, so I'll let you reply in
that part of the thread.

Thanks,
Roman.