From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Whimsy PMC
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:42:35 GMT
I don't see how this is any different from any other project. The initial contributors will
work on it to satisfy their needs. If organization X wants to use it they can contribute code
to generalize the software and make it useful to their use case. As long as it doesn't break
things for other users we would expect such a contribution to be accepted.

There are plenty such potential contributors. Whether any of them will care we don't know,
but making it a TLP increases the chances. Isn't that what we do here?

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: shaposhnik@gmail.com [mailto:shaposhnik@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman Shaposhnik
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:38 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Whimsy PMC

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Not sure if your concern is diversity or scale, so I'll address both
> separately. If your concern is something else please be more explicit.
>
> Graduation does not require diversity of the PMC. It requires that the
> project be run according to the Apache Way which includes being open
> to any viewpoint brought to the project, regardless of the source.
> Furthermore, the initial set of committers covers a wide range of contributing orgs (although
we are all doing this with ASF hats).

It is actually neither. It is viability of the community outside of requirements of a very
particular organization. IOW, the only way for me to make sure that community is not joined
at the hip with ASF INFRA would be to see other foundations adopt the tools and joining the
community.

> As for going straight to TLP I agree. Sam did say this was a
> possibility but I believe he (rightly so) wants to ensure that the
> proposal is solid before asking the board and IPMC to consider this path.

Good. That would be my preferred way there then. Honestly, given the composition of the initial
Whimsy community straight to TLP path is much more efficient way to go about it. IMHO, there's
not much that Incubator experience would bring to the table for Whimsy.

Thanks,
Roman.