From Ryan Blue <b...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Parquet MR (Incubating) 1.6.0 RC2
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:35:31 GMT
Hi Justin, thanks for taking a look at the release.

I'm curious about the problems you had with the install. As far as I
know, the build doesn't depend on PHP. Maybe this is something I had
installed by default, but could you tell us what error you ran into?

Also, did you do anything different when installing the thrift and
protoc compilers? The `make install` would normally take care of making
the binaries or scripts executable, but you might need to do it by hand
if you ran them locally or maybe used different configure options.

Thanks!

rb

On 04/15/2015 10:36 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a bit late so just take it as advice for the next release I would of voted +1
or +0. More likely +0 as I was unable to compile the release.

> - signatures and hashes correct
> - LICENSE and NOTICE OK (but see below)
> - the install instructions need o be improved
> - no unexpected binaries
> - all source code has Apache headers
> - unable to compile form source
>
> The install instruction are incomplete as they fail to mention chmod +x scripts and the
version of php required - a fair number of users are going to be unable to install by following
the instructions.

> Minor issues:
> - LICENSE includes a ASF Apache licensed software when there there no need [1]
> - Year in NOTICE file incorrect and should be a range
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1.http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

Ryan Blue