From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: CCLA's and SGA's
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:09:05 GMT

> On 09 Feb 2015, at 15:08, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
> These are all different vehicles for different things.
>
> The SGA is basically a formal code-donation to the ASF. It
> provides deep IP provenance.
>
> A CCLA is a document that sez that a company is aware that its
> employee(s) is/are working on Apache projects and that they
> (the company) is OK with that. Usually this is in direct response
> to those employee agreements that claim that any IP created
> by an employee (at any time) is the property of the employer.
> A CCLA is not usually required, but if it is, it's up to the
> employer to determine when/if it is.
>
> An iCLA is required once someone gets commit privs and provides
> a belts-and-braces provenance history, ensuring that all code
> that comes into Apache has history and can be included.

I would refine this into

	A CCLA is not required unless either 1) the company prefers to have such in place on its
own accord or 2) an individual with an  iCLA has determined (e.g. in consultation with his
employer or customers) that in his or her specific situation a CCLA is needed in addition
to his own iCLA.

So start with gating the code we (ultimately) distribute and have to have good governance
over to have the release ‘stick’ to the license by gating what goes into SVN.

-	That we do with the Software Grant

-	Or with the iCLA of the individual committing.

and provide companies and individuals the ability to clarify their (relative or absolute)
position with a CCLA if they feel so inclined.

Dw